Sunday, March 11, 2007

Night life in Merida





When it gets dark on the weekends, sidewalks fill (in the tonier touristy areas) with artisans selling their wares. Ginger and I only bought one hammock this trip. But there is more to do than shop. You can eat. Most of the restaurants specialize in Yucatecan cuisine. As we are vegetarians, this means very little. I can't say whether Yucatecan cuisine is good or not, because the vast bulk of it involves animals. But we found this place, where live trova music happens on the weekends. The picture of the Indian woman is too dark, but I asked if I could take it because I bought some things from her- cute little purses and Zapatista dolls.
We never rode in a hansom cab, but always wanted to. The horses appeared to be healthy and fairly content. We've seen some pathetic skinny sad horses in other places where we couldn't possibly contribute to their exploitation by riding. But the ones in Mérida really did look happy.

No comments: