Friday, March 16, 2007

Cenote (second set)





I can't remember how much it costs to go into the cenote, but it wasn't a whole lot. I guess I need to explain cenote. I don't think the word is spanish. It describes an underground cavern filled with fresh water. It's not neccessarily a cave, and they usually look like big round holes in the ground with water in them. They can be partially covered or totally subterranean with maybe a little hole for the sun to shine through. Or maybe they can be totally subterranean, but I've never seen one that you couldn't see into, at least a little. They lind of look like sink holes and they were a source of fresh water for people in the Yucatan for thousands of years. This one was used for fresh water in Valladolid until recently, or at least for washing and stuff.

No comments: