Sunday, March 11, 2007

the Arts...






Mérida is intentionally trying to attract more tourists and promote its cultural heritage. The place is full of art and things to do that have to do with art. As we were sick, we missed most of it. We tried to go to a Tango exhibition, but we didn't get in line soon enough and it filled up quickly. We did go to a modern art exhibit and I am pictured with the best piece of the entire collection - the mouse. The empty-ish corridor is outside the gallery. It's a HUGE gallery with many exhibition rooms and a children's hand's on art section. I was leery when we walked in and there was a large, garish, blue, ultra-modernistic sculpture in the foyer, kind of like a giant tractor part. I am not a fan of abstract art. So we were glad we went but it could've been better. The parks are full of public art in the form of statues and sculptures and fountains. Her's a picture of an obelisk dedicated to nothing. I guess they're renovating it. And one of these pictures is of me at the cafe from previous post. Behind me you'll see a hotel and also a boutique called Masud's. That's where we bought Ginger's wedding dress. The guy there designs clothes that are almost like the traditional hipil and guayabera, but modernized (I guess you'd say). The clothes are very pretty but very very expensive.

No comments: