Sunday, March 11, 2007

Merida cafes






One of the nicest pleasures available in the colonial cities of Mexico is to sit at an outdoor cafe and drink coffee, tea, beer, or wine, and watch the world go by. This is obviously my favorite past-time. Ambulent vendors will try to sell you stuff, some of it really cool, some not. So unless you really don't want to buy ANYTHING, it's worth it to look. Ginger and I bought a cute wooden paddle with chickens on it last trip for Daddy. You pull a string and the chickens peck at the ground. And once, many years ago, I bought a charm of the Virgin Guadelupe that I really liked, but ended up having to give to a taxi driver in lieu of cash. So, the girl in the last picture said she was from Chiapas and I bought some bracelets. I'm wearing them as I type. The other pictures are just Ginger being herself. One with lemon in the eye, the other of a colorful plate of french fries (that came back to haunt her later).
Also need to mention- there are people who can't afford to stop and drink coffee at a cafe and I do understand that my ability so to do hinges on their lack of said ability.

No comments: