Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Ticul market






We really wanted to see the market in Ticul because, according to all available info, this is the hub of hipil construction in the whole of Yucatán. Hipiles are the dresses that the Maya women wear. So we wanted to buy us some hipiles, of course. We found the market and stopped to buy me some medicine for my digestive tract from a teenager manning a pharmacy nearby. When we got to the market, the diarrhea hit Ginger. Fortunately there were bathrooms for a modest 2 pesos. Mexican markets are another of my favorite places in the world. Ginger shares my enthusiasm. So we took about another godzillion pictures. Enjoy!
In a bizarre turn of events, we never found a butt-load of hipiles anywhere. And the only ones we ended up buying on the whole trip were from an old woman in downtown Mérida. They weren't the beautiful ones with all the ornate stitchwork that I wanted, but still they are pretty.

No comments: