Monday, February 19, 2007

Kabah Arch






Before we explore the ruins at Kabah proper, let's cross the road and walk up a trail to the arch of Kabah. Most of the Mayan sites throughout the Yucatán peninsula, Guatemala, southern México, Honduras, and Belize were connected by a series of highways called sacbé. This arch marks some (don't know why) important point on the sacbé that connected Uxmal to Kabah. It is pretty cool to walk along, trying to figure out what you might see and why you're bothering, when you stumble upon this very cool arch. The marker on the path said that the handprints you can see inside the arch are original and were made by the people who built it. I find that hard to believe (and so does Ginger) but INAH (the National Institute of Archaeology and History) made the markers and they should know. The prints are a little bit smaller than my hands (and my hands are pretty small considering how big I am- my fingers are way too short for my hands and I am probably defying some law of physics and biology when I play my guitar) so MAYBE they are the prints of the people that built the thing. Like I've said before, the Maya were/are small people. That last one is Ginger pointing at something. I don't know what, unless it's bird nests or bromeliads.

No comments: