Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Labna: architectural details...





Ok, again with the boring-sounding title. But this is really cool. Look carefully at the pattern of this first picture. The decorative facade of this building is, in fact, a very stylized face or mask. Look at it. Can you see it? It is a Chac mask. Cool, no? Anyway, the empty niches in the next pictures are very cool in and of themselves. Did I already post these pictures? I feel that I've already written this part. [Shake like a dog to get the heebie-jeebie deja vu off my back.] Anyway, there were apparently some statues or something cool in these niches in the wall. Alas, looted previous to this trip. But, you can still see the green paint on the feather-looking background. Maybe these little niches housed parrots painted green. There were parrots in the decorations at Uxmal. Anyway, I thought I'd throw in a picture of Ginger at the end :)

No comments: