Monday, November 23, 2009

Wedding Party in Mohandeseen






I went with Ragab to visit some friends of his and ended up being spoon-fed goat by his friend's mother and I couldn't say no because it would have been unspeakably rude. These people are seriously poor and the sheep here in the photo are actually just outside the apartment. There were chickens in the stairwell and the whole neighborhood was decrepit. The macaroni meal with goat meat was probably an expensive dish and I couldn't refuse it.
Anyway one of the guys had been invited to a wedding party so we invited ourselves along. This would prove to be the first of several wedding parties we were either invited to or crashed. This one was fun because the people were poor and it was in an alley. You can see the dirt floor -it's because it was outside. The brick walls of the buildings had some decorative cloth screens, and the sound system was as loud as any I've been to, so it was a rockin- affair.
These wedding parties are the only places I saw where men and women dance together. And they don't really, just sort of. They dance in groups. The couple's families provide cake and Pepsi for all the guests.
I think it might be good luck to have a foreigner at your wedding party or get your bride picture taken with a foreigner because I had my picture taken a LOT with wedding couples.
If I've already posted these pictures I apologize. It's taking me so long to blog my trip to Egypt, I'll be surprised if I can get it all in.

No comments: