Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Sufi Groupie






Samia shmoozed our way into a backstage tour of the Sufi dance place and meeting a few of the dancers. Her friend Mahmoud apparently knows one of the guys that works there and so they took us around as if we were special :) Here you can see us in the dressing rooms and behind the stage. The building is medieval and was built for people to stay in like an inn or something when they would bring their crap to sell at the khan el khalili. It is at the edge of the market and the building has been restored and they have free cultural stuff there - mostly music related. I think Ragab and I went 4 times to see Sufi dances there. I was surprised that more Egyptians don't go because it's fun and free. But the audience is about half and half. That's where Samia met Mahmoud, now that I think about it. And where I met her :)

No comments: