Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Tomb Work






So, what we have been doing is organizing and recording all of the pieces of walls and columns that were recovered in the excavations of this tomb and trying to find where they fit together and where they fit on the walls. This is really fun work. I can't find anything to complain about. Except that tomorrow is our last day.
We were able to find a lot of the North wall and here I am with a really nice piece from the entryway to the second pillared hall.
Oh, I wish I'd been able to photograph the mummy head in the box in the corridor. I can complain about that. It was so cool. There are apparently loads of mummies in Egyptian tombs. Like tons of them. They are everywhere. And our tomb has pieces and bits and all, but the excavation team has pretty much put them all in boxes and they are stored in the surrounding corridors of the tomb. So when Mariam was showing us around the first day, AJ found a box with a mummy head in it and the box was labeled "mummy". It was just too cool. But we can't take pictures of it. Alas. This is not an open tomb so it is not supposed to be photographed. Fuckity, fuckity, fuck. Well. Anyway. The work itself is totally fun and I will really miss the smell of tomb in the mornings.
I soooooo hope we get to do this again next year!!!!!

No comments: