Saturday, December 16, 2006

Katmandu


I found Sunny's body yesterday morning. Gilligan showed me. It was surreal. I got up and dressed and told Gilligan we were going out to find Sunny. So he led me down the driveway and up the road, through my cousin's yard and behind his house, and into the woods in a place I'd never been before. I kept following and Gilligan led me deeper into the woods. A few times I thought, "this can't be right. She would never be way out here." But I kept going. Finally Gilligan started sniffing around the trees in different places. We were in a weird wooded area, a pine stand that had been burned before so the tree bark and ground were black and burnt but there were pine needles carpeting the ground with some honeysuckle and vines too. So everything was orange and black and gray. Then I saw Sunny's little body. She was just lying there. So I carried her back as far as I could and got Daddy to get the truck and we loaded her into the back and drove her home. Daddy helped me dig her a grave in a pretty spot. I wrapped her in one of my shirts. Gilligan was watching, and when I put her body into the grave, he started whining and crying and that's when I cried the hardest.
I don't know what else to say.
I love her a lot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is so sad to hear the story of how you found Sunny. Please know I am soo sorry and I completely understand how miserable it feels to lose someone you love.
Love, Nat