Sunday, December 28, 2008

Whiney Wines for about $10


I drink a lot of cheap-ish wines and I always buy different kinds and I can never remember whether I liked one or not. So I have decided to start a wine list here.
I will describe and rate the one I opened tonight: El Burro: Kickass Garnacha, 2006.
This is a product of Spain.
The back of the bottle says that this is: "A thoroughbred wine with an expressive combination of rich fruit flavors - blackberries, raspberries, and plums - and a warm, spicy character. The Romans found donkeys to be ideal animals for working on the narrow paths between vines. Their use for cultivation spread to Spain where "Burros" have remained to this day."
I can go along with the berry flavors here, but I can't find the spicy character. Unless the spice is black pepper. It's a heavy tasting wine and kinda stinky like a merlot. Not dry and not sweet. It has a slightly bitter lingering feeling. And an acrid sort of pungency in the nose, but not martial. Not disgusting to drink, and it's all right really. A little on the heavy side. It sort of coats the tongue. It would probably be good with a strong blue cheese, but I don't have any.
The name is really cute, and how can you really go wrong with any wine that calls itself kickass right there on the label?
I give this one between a 6 and a 7 on the JWW'o scale. I'll definitely buy it again but not for people I really like or need to impress.

1 comment:

Jenny the Mighty said...

Hangover factor: 4.1 on the porcelain scale.
Headache and general feelings of nausea.
You wouldn't want to have to go to work or take a test feeling like this. I went to the bank and to the grocery store.