Thursday, September 13, 2007

CHANGED: Young Angela Davis Pics


I have to change this post. I just read this quote from Davis on Wikipedia:
"It is both humiliating and humbling to discover that a single generation after the events that constructed me as a public personality, I am remembered as a hairdo."
I don't want to contribute to this. Angela Davis's work is important and her life is important, and, even though her hairdo was SUPER-cool, I'm not going to perpetuate her image as a stereotype. Instead, I'll list some of her books that you might want to buy:
Angela Davis: An Autobiography (1989)
Are Prisons Obsolete? (2003)
Arbitrary Justice: The Power of the American Prosecutor (2007)
Women, Race and Class (2001)
Blues Legacies and Black Feminism: Gertrude "Ma" Rainey, Bessie Smith, and Billie Holiday (1999)
Abolition Democracy: Beyond Empire, Prisons, and Torture (Open Media) (2005)
Women, Culture and Politics (1990)
Prison Industrial Complex - an Audio CD (1999)

All of these are available at Amazon.

No comments: