Saturday, May 16, 2009

Dahab Hostel





I made it to Cairo but nobody was there to meet me at the airport. I was supposed to confirm with the hostel about picking me up, but I couldn't get an email through b/c their account was always full. So I waited, hoping, but had to take a taxi anyway. I paid 60 pounds at the airport counter and then I tipped the driver 20 more. I know that was too much. But I didn't quite know what else to do.
So I got here and got my cute little room. Yes, there is no AC and no fan, but 7 floors up you don't need it. There is, so far, a constant wind and the room is very cool at night. There are communal bathrooms and showers but when I showered last night the water wasn't hot, but I hear that if you wait long enough it is.
There are cats that live here and have the run of the place. They feed them cat food, which is better than the table scraps that most cats around here get.
There are people staying here from, so far that I've met, the US, Germany, France, England, Holland, Australia, and Japan. I've been listening to the Germans converse just to practice.
My Egyptian Arabic is not too good, but I can say enough to make people happy and then pantomime the rest.

No comments: