Saturday, February 7, 2009

Alamos Cabernet Sauvignon 2007


Ahhhh, I forget how much I prefer a cab. This one is pretty good. For about $10 it would be hard to beat. Except the Root II beats it and I can never remember to blog that one.
As a reminder for those of you who are new to this. I am a very poor college student who likes wine. I have been experimenting with red wines for about $10/bottle. I don't do white wine because, like Ginger and I always say, it's so hard to remember it's actually wine until you find yourself flat on the floor with an empty bottle. Or else you wake up the next day with email receipts from the ticket to Arizona you bought and don't remember. Which brings me to the breath-a-lyzer keyboard invention, but I should save that for another blog.
As I was saying. I decided to describe and rate these cheap wines so I can remember which ones to avoid in future. You might want to heed my descriptions since I am no connoisseur - I just know what I don't like.
So, this wine is from Argentina. It's a 2007 cab, like I said, by Alamos. It has a strong alcohol smell coming up from the top of the glass - which is usually a good sign. Almost like rubbing alcohol but tangy-er. Not at all sweet or syrupy. Very clear. Ok, maybe a hint of sweet. Like some kind of fruit. Plum maybe. But it's barely there. This wine is in no way disgusting. It's average in a good way. If you want a solid specimen of the cab genre you could do worse than this one. I would buy it again.

1 comment:

Amy Kunz said...

i LOVE cabs too and malbecs!

give this one a try too..i love the name of course since I am a red head (now shhhhh!) and a middle sister too! it was made for me...and i find it at TARGET so you know it is not too snooty.
http://www.middlesisterwines.com/home.html